Research Associate, Protein Science
Location: Waltham, MA
Palleon Pharmaceuticals is seeking a highly motivated, creative, and collaborative individual with hands-on experience in protein sciences to join a dynamic team of scientists supporting biotherapeutics discovery. The primary responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, molecular cloning, expression, purification, analysis and characterization of recombinant proteins and antibodies, antibody screening and engineering, and enzyme engineering. The successful candidate will be expected to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- DNA cloning, designing primers, and constructing plasmid vectors for protein expression. Analyze DNA and protein sequences.
- Express proteins/antibodies using mammalian/bacterial cells (milligram to gram scale).
- Purify and characterize proteins/antibodies.
- Troubleshoot and design strategies to express difficult proteins.
- Solve protein purification challenges.
- Design, execute, interpret, and analyze experiments.
- Maintain detailed documentation of experiments.
- Attend team meetings, deliver presentations, and participate in discussions.
- Assist with general laboratory duties, including lab equipment maintenance, ordering and receiving of lab supplies.
Qualifications and Skills:
- BS/MS degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related discipline.
- Hands-on experience in the following areas: molecular cloning, expression of recombinant proteins, protein purification, and protein characterization using various analytical techniques.
- PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, transformation, and DNA purification.
- Cell transfection, mammalian cell culture.
- Various chromatography techniques.
- AKTA protein purification systems.
- ELISA and Octet.
- DNA and protein electrophoresis, western blotting.
- Familiarity with DNASTAR Lasergene or similar programs.
- “Can do” attitude and motivation to succeed in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Interest in and enthusiasm for learning and applying new technologies when required.
Who We Are:
Palleon Pharmaceuticals is the leading biotechnology company developing drugs that target glycan-mediated immune regulation to treat cancer and inflammatory diseases. The company’s proprietary platforms integrate technologies and insights from global scientific leaders in the glyco-immunology field to overcome historical scientific hurdles and create novel therapeutics for devastating diseases characterized by immune system dysfunction. Palleon’s lead program in oncology, an enzymatic sialoglycan degrader for T cell exhaustion in cancer, is expected to enter clinical testing in 2021. The company has several other drug discovery programs underway in disease areas where glycan-mediated immune regulation plays a role, including inflammatory diseases such as autoimmunity and fibrosis. Palleon was launched in 2015. The company recently raised a $100 million Series B financing from leading investors Matrix Capital Management, Surveyor Capital (a Citadel company), SR One, Pfizer Ventures, Vertex Ventures HC, Takeda Ventures and AbbVie Ventures. Learn more at www.palleonpharma.com.